- The Racial and Social Equity Standing Committee was stood up by the Commission to carry forth the work of its Task Force on Racism. The Commission believed it was in the best interest of the Chevy Chase community and the District of Columbia to continue using its influence on our community’s public and policy debate to raise equity issues through the formation of a permanent Standing Committee of the Commission, where members of the committee are committed to advocating for the just treatment of all those disadvantaged by systemic inequality. In creating the standing committee, the Commission tasked the body to study and advise the Commission on how to most effectively:
- Implement the initiatives developed and recommended by the Commission’s Task Force on Racism and adopted by the Commission;
- Advocate for racial and social equity in the community and the city; endeavor to develop racial and social equity frameworks for analyzing issues and policies;
- Promote community involvement and engagement; develop key stakeholder (community and City-wide) relationships; incorporate the most affected community members;
- Champion education and training to increase awareness and understanding of equity frameworks; connect individual and collective experiences to systemic equity issues; and
- Value data-driven analysis to aid decision-making.
2023 Committee Members
Ron Eichner; Lisa Gore; Renee Inman; Merilee Janssen; Carl Lankowski; Elizabeth Martin; Karrenthya Simmons; Cal Simone; Maria Sims; and Maurice Werner.
2023 Committee Meeting Dates
January 17th; February 21st; March 21st; April 18th; May 16th; June 20th; July 18th; No meetings in August; September 19th; October 17th; November 21st; and December 19th.
All meeting times are at 7:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted on the above schedule.
Committee Document Library
|RASE July Meeting YouTube Recording||Meeting Videos||Recording of the committee’s July 18, 2023 meeting||Commissioner Gore||7/18/2023||Link to Video|
|RASE February Meeting Zoom Recording||Meeting Videos||Recording of the committee’s February 21, 2023 meeting||Commissioner Gore||2/21/2023||Meeting Video Link|
|RASE Recommendation on the Chevy Chase Civic Core Site||Recommendations||RASE’s recommendation on the civic core||Committee||1/23/2023||Link to RASE Civic Core Recommendation|
|December 9, 2022 Meeting Agenda||Agendas||Discussion on committee accomplishments and CY 23 recommendations, Common Ground Act||Commissioner Gore||12/9/2022||RASE December 9, 2022 Meeting Agenda|
|Committee Recommendations for ANC Operations||Recommendations||Committee recommendations to the ANC for 2023 operations||Maurice Werner||11/28/2022||Committee Recommendations to the ANC for 2023 Operations|
|RASE Committee Accomplishments for 2021-2022||Reports||Committee accomplishments from 2021-222||Maurice Werner||11/28/2022||Committee Accomplishments for 2021-2022|
|November 15, 2022 Meeting Agenda||Agendas||Discussion of Common Ground Act, Chevy Chase Fountain, CY23 Accomplishments||Commissioner Gore||11/15/2022||RASE November 15, 2022 Meeting Agenda|
|September 20, 2022 Meeting Agenda||Agendas||Discussion of Zoning Commission Hearing on Racial Equity and debrief on 9/12/2022 ANC Meeting||Commissioner Gore||09/20/2022||RASE September 20, 2022 Committee Meeting Agenda|
|Proposed Chevy Chase Call Box Recommendations||Recommendations||Notice to the ANC 3/4G01 from the Chevy Chase DC Racial and Social Equity Standing Committee (RASE) regarding how artist will design and rehabilitate call boxes located in Chevy Chase.||Maria Sims||08/31/2022||Recommendation to the ANC on Proposed Chevy Chase DC Call Box Project|
|November 26, 2021 Agenda||Agendas||Community Presentation by Parisa Norouzi, ED, Empower DC on Brentwood Environmental Justice and discussion on committee structure and task force recommendations||Commissioner Gore||11/16/2021||RASE November 16, 2021 Meeting Agenda|
|Statement on Ward 3 and 4 Redistricting – Equity Considerations||Statements||Statement on Equity Considerations in Redistricting Affecting the Boundary Between Ward 3||Committee||11/15/2021||Statement on Equity Considerations in Redistricting Wards 3 and 4|
|October 19, 2021 Meeting Agenda||Agendas||Discussion of committee structure and Task Force on Racism Recommendations||Commissioner Gore||10/19/2021||RASE October 19, 2021 Committee Meeting Agenda|
|Letter to MPD Chief Contee of Disparate Police Stops in 2nd District||Letters||Letter to Chief Contee requesting a meeting with RASE to discuss disparate police stops in the 2nd District||Commissioner Gore||06/28/2021||Letter to Robert Contee, Chief, MPD|
|June 15, 2021 Meeting Agenda||Agendas||Discussion of committee structure, Task Force on Racism Recommendations, and 2nd District Meeting Request||Commissioner Gore||06/15/2021||RASE June 15, 2021 Committee Meting Agenda|
|May 11, 2021 Meeting Agenda||Agendas||Discussion of committee structure and Task Force on Racism recommendations implementation||Commissioner Speck||05/11/2021||RASE May 11, 2021 Meeting Agenda|
|Chevy Chase Small Area Plan Recommendations||Recommendations||RASE committee recommendations related to the Chevy Chase Small Area Plan||Committee||04/25/2021||Committee recommendations on the Chevy Chase Small Area Plan|
|Standing Committee Initial Resolution||Resolutions||Resolution establishing the ANC’s Racial and Social Equity Standing Committee||Commissioner Gore||01/25/2021||Standing Committee Initial Resolution|